Sunday, July 15, 2012

WWE Money In The Bank 2012 Preview



Check after the jump for my predictions for MITB 2012:





Youtube Pre Show





WWE Tag Team Championship Match: Kofi Kingston & R-Truth(c) vs. Hunico & Camacho


I have mixed feelings about this match.  I'm utterly disappointed that The Primetime Players were completely snubbed out of their title shot after earning a huge victory last month at No Way Out.  In many ways, the flub makes the whole division look bad.  Having the new contenders chosen by drawing straws hardly makes the belts seem like anything worth value.


Winners: Kofi & Truth





Main Card





World Heavyweight Championship MITB Ladder match: Intercontinental Champion Christian vs. United States Champion Santino Marella vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Tyson Kidd vs. Damien Sandow vs. Tensai


As much potential this match has to be an absolute show stealer, it will probably be the opener.  Fine by me, I actually enjoy having a fast paced, action packed intro to a high caliber PPV.  As for the winner of this contest, the choices pretty much boil down to two superstars; Dolph Ziggler and Cody Rhodes.  Of these two, I am going with Ziggler.  On the other hand, n my yearly awards last year, I predicted that Cody Rhodes would be this year's breakout star.  While he hasn't quite lived up to the hype, winning the briefcase here would be a huge start.  I also predicted a world title win for him by the end of the year, and I stand by that.  However, I don't see if happening this soon.  Ziggler is primed and ready to be a top star and has developed quite the following, more than likely born purely out of respect at this point.  He is reminiscent of an early Shawn Michaels.  Giving four to five star performances night after night, yet still seen as unproven and over-eager.  It's about time that perception changed.  As for the other participants, Tyson Kidd would be a pleasant surprise, however he is arguably, the least likely to come out on top.  Christian has seen the mountaintop and is better suited in his current role, bringing prestige back to the IC title scene.  Having a former world champion hold the IC belt, automatically elevates the belt up a notch.  Tensai and Sandow are both wild cards and would probably earn a dull reaction (similar to Del Rio last year) if they were to pull the trigger with either of them.  Sin Cara is only involved to perform stunts and Marella will most likely tease the victory but leave with his tail between his legs like Royal Rumble 2011 and Elimination Chamber 2012.  These however, are just my opinions but one thing's for sure, this will be a hell of an exciting contest.


Winner: Dolph Ziggler





World Heavyweight Championship match: Sheamus(c) vs. Alberto Del Rio


Del Rio has a decent amount of momentum right now and after his recent ruthless attacks on Sheamus, he definitely has an advantage heading into his long overdue title match.  He also has Ricardo Rodriguez at his side, who will most likely prove to be more than a distraction to the world champion.  All these factors considered, I still see the Great White walking out champion.


Winner and STILL World Heavyweight Champion: Sheamus





WWE Championship MITB Ladder match: John Cena vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Big Show


I know everyone has been doubting the point of this match altogether, but I find it just as intriguing as any other match on the card.  All four men are proven main eventers and great storytellers and I think this match will add some much needed variety and psychology to a match that usually involves a bunch of high flyers trying to "out-spot" each other.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm a firm believer in not fixing what's already broken, but this match in my opinion, will be the sleeper hit of the night.  Cena's obvious victory will probably set the world (more likely just the IWC) on fire, but he's pretty much a lock, with the WWE needing a big time WWE title match for next month.  That said, I see Cena winning and cashing it in for a match at the biggest party of the summer.  That doesn't mean I have to like it.  For the record, I'm still Team Jericho.


Winner: John Cena




WWE Championship match:: CM Punk(c) vs. Daniel Bryan w/special referee AJ


I've grown tired of the whole AJ love triangle overshadowing the WWE title, but with the combined greatness of Punk and Bryan, this still has the potential to be at least a four star classic.  I still believe an 30-60 minute Iron Man match would have served these two much better, but it's far too late for complaints now.  It's pretty obvious that whatever the outcome, the loser will have AJ to blame.  Meh.  I still believe we could squeeze at least three more PPV matches out of these two and putting the title on Bryan here would be the perfect way to have Punk push AJ aside and re-focus on what matters most, his WWE Championship.  Do I see that happening?  Not a chance.


Winner and STILL WWE Champion: CM Punk





The Verdict


All four of the primary matches have at least four star potential.  I think everyone has been too busy whining to notice.  That may hurt this PPV tremendously, but I still think it's a can't miss and I would recommend you drop the 50 bucks because if each match lives up to it's potential, you won't be sorry.


Verdict: Buy




Post MITB


Summerslam will easily be one of the best shows of the year.  I know it's early, but as a bonus, I've gone ahead and predicted some ideas for potential main events for the show:


WWE Title match: CM Punk(c) vs. John Cena vs. Big Show


Cena and Big Show still have unsettled differences and I think this would make for an awesome match.  They will most likely go with Punk and Cena alone, but I find this to be a better option.  If however, it is down to Punk/Cena III, I see a possible heel turn for the leader of the Cenation.  It's a bold prediction I know, but with The Rock's claim to vie for one more "big one", I think Cena may capture the gold and go on a great heel run as champ all the way to Wrestlemania XXIX.  Having thing's done this way, would easily make Rock/Cena II bigger and better than it's predecessor.  Punk, being the number two babyface, could remain in the title scene, feuding with Cena for the remainder of the year.




World Heavyweight Championship match: Sheamus(c) vs. Randy Orton


With Orton's return coming any day now (most likely at Raw 1000), I'm also hoping for a heel turn from The Viper.  The sick, sadistic Orton from yesteryear, would be the perfect opponent for Sheamus at this point in his career and both men would come out of this battle better than ever.  There's also the possibility that Alberto Del Rio will find his way into this match.  Two triple threat main events may not be such a bad idea.





Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar


I have to admit that this has been a dream match of mine since about 2003.  To say I'm excited for this one is an understatement.  I think Paul Heyman's involvement will be the deciding factor in the outcome of this match, which is pretty much a coin toss at this point.





Some other ideas I have to round out the card are as follows:


IC title match: Christian(c) vs. Chris Jericho


Rey Mysterio vs. Daniel Bryan


Dolph Ziggler vs. Cody Rhodes


If I get at least four of these matches, I could care less about the rest of the show.  I would order this one in a heartbeat!!


Be sure to check back Monday for my review of WWE Money In The Bank 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment