Tuesday, January 3, 2012

WWE RAW Thoughts: 1/2/2012






Tonight's show was good, but we were left with more questions then answers.  Check after the jump for my thoughts on the first Raw of 2012:


  • The show opens with an awesome package on the Cena & Kane storyline.
  • Cena arrives to a chorus of boos and cuts a promo about his loyalty to the Cenation, and how he would never turn his back on them (i.e. turn heel).  Nothing special here, I commend Cena for trying, but c'mon man, at this point, YOU even want you to turn heel, you're bored and it's obvious.  This leads to an interruption by Kane over loudspeaker, saying that Cena would indeed learn to 'embrace the hate' tonight!
  • Daniel Bryan is out next to face Cody Rhodes in a match to promote Smackdown's 2 big title matches this week.  After a decent, however short match, Bryan picks up the win via. possum pin.  He then overacts a little too much, screaming 'I DID IT!' over and over on his way to the back.  Are they trying to make Daniel Bryan annoying? 
  • R Truth is getting weirder and weirder, I was not a fan of his awkward duck impersonation.
  • Lmao at Billy Zane in that Scorpion King commercial...I mean REALLY?.....was the guy from the Mummy films too busy? 
  • Wade Barrett squashes Santino (lol at Marrella's 'Barrett Garage' quip).
  • R Truth distracts the Miz during his impromptu match against Sheamus.  We again have to see that stupid 'water bottle slap'.  Truth then lets some 'lil Jimmy' (who looks like Justin Bieber) get on the mic to....wish the Miz a happy new year?  I got nothing from this segment, but still curious where the feud will go.
  • The Miz has definitely lost his place amongst the main event talent on Raw.
  • Dolph Ziggler delivers a great promo, but I was a bit disappointed in the match with CM Punk and Ziggs.  It wasn't bad, but after the great match they had last year, my expectations were very high.  Still, they will most likely redeem themselves in their rematch at the Royal Rumble.
  • Dolph wins the match via distraction by Lauryngitis.  Punk bursts into the GM's office and claims that if he interferes in his match at the Rumble that he will "beat him like a bitch".
  • The Bella twins defeat Kelly Kelly and Eve (Ryder?) by using their classic 'twin magic' switch.
  • Finally, we get the 1/2/12 reveal.  And the mystery superstar is............






CHRIS JERICHO!!!








  • VERY excited and like the live audience, I jumped up in down with my cousin in celebration until I realized that the return was a bit awkward.  Jericho was smiling and his Y2J mannerisms were on point, yet he seemed very creepy.  This is why I love Chris Jericho, no one keeps me guessing the way he does.  If you look in his eyes, or at his face as he left the arena, he completely sells the 'I've got something evil up my sleeve' vibe.  He's still got it as a performer, the acting was top-notch, as you could almost read his thoughts.  He was also overselling the excitement and it almost felt as if he was mocking the audience for being such sheep for a guy they despised a year and a half ago.  What are you up to? We are going to have to wait until next week to find out, as Jericho leaves without saying a word. Interesting......I have a feeling he is going to drag this out until Wrestlemania, and I promptly cleaned the edge of my seat, since it seems that I will sitting there for a while.
  • In the Main Event, we have a six man tag with Mark Henry and Jack Swagger (Kane was the third but decided not to show up) vs. John Cena, Zack Ryder and Big Show.  Standard stuff here (for a minute, I thought Cena would turn on Ryder) until Cena picks up the win and things get interesting.  The Big Red Machine's music hits, then Cena hits the ramp waiting to confront him.  Kane then comes through the ring and attacks a wounded Ryder.  Cena comes in for the save, but gets suffocated (I love that Kane is doing this) and then, in a very creepy 'Mike Myers' way, Kane turns his attention to Ryder.  He tries to drag Ryder into HELL and at the very last minute, Cena dives in for the save.  HOORAY! I mean c'mon bro, Zack JUST got the US title, and hes THIIISSS close to nailing Eve.  LOL, all jokes aside, I love the over-the-top horror movie ending with the ring erupting in flames and Cena and Ryder selling the "we just escaped the monster's grasp" moment.  I also LOVE the booking of Kane since his return.  He has that horror movie monster vibe and I am a huge fan of him being presented this way.












Final thoughts: All in all, it was a pretty good show, YES I know we didn't get any payoffs, but that may be a good thing.  It's nice for once to not know what's going to happen.  Oh, and WHERE THE FUCK WAS BRODUS CLAY!?


Overall episode rating: 8.0 (the road to Wrestlemania is going to be a long one)


What to watch if you DVR'd the episode: The 1/2/12 reveal, Main Event, and Punk vs. Ziggler (just dont expect anything too special) so you can see the build for their Rumble match.



No comments:

Post a Comment