Tuesday, February 26, 2013

WWE Monday Night Raw: 2/25/2013

SGHDFGJHGJHSGJDGHJ!!!!!!
 
I can't even begin to review last night's Raw as a whole show because there was only ONE thing I will remember 10 years from now and that is the ALL TIME classic between John Cena and CM Punk that took place in the main event.



To say this was one of the best matches I've ever seen would not be a stretch, it'd be an understatement.  I've always praised Punk and Cena for being on the level of Austin/Rock, Flair/Steamboat & Hart/Michaels and with good reason.  It's one of the finest in-ring rivalries in the history of pro wrestling.

But the truth of the matter is many will still find a reason to knock such greatness because of one man, John Cena.  You're going to hear people saying that his Head Scissors wasn't impressive.  They're right, because it was amazing.   You're going to hear people say he couldn't keep up with Punk the whole way.   They're right, because at times, he out wrestled him.  You're going to hear people say this match wasn't as good at Money In The Bank 2011.  They're right, because it was even better.

This was the best Raw match since Cena/Michaels from 2007.  This is lightening in a bottle we've witnessed here folks and if you're still finding a reason to say that John Cena can't wrestle in 2013, specifically upon watching that performance, then I don't want anything to do with you.  

I understand that in the blog world, hell among purists on the Internet in general, that I've become an enigma of sorts.  An idealist.  An eternal optimist.  These are all things I can accept, but what I'll never accept is the panning of what could go down as Cena and Punk's finest hour. 

There are times I find taking the stance I have chosen to take downright depressing.  It's exhausting trying to be one of the only few "smart fans" who can still find full enjoyment of the WWE's product and see the silver lining even in the worst of episodes.  But then I think about the other people who like me, enjoyed the sh*t out of that match last night and lost themselves the way they used to when they were kids.   That match made me believe again.  And those fans in attendance can all testify.  That was what pro wrestling is all about.  THAT is what we pay to see.

Two (yes TWO) of the best wrestlers in the world put everything on the line for the chance to headline Wrestlemania and earn a shot to live forever.  To experience wrestling nirvana.  If you're a fan of this blog I thank you very much for helping this thing grow, but if you take anything from what you read here, let it be something from this article.

That was what pro wrestling is all about for me.  That is why I fight the good fight.  I get hate messages from jaded fans saying that I tend to give too much credit to anything involving Randy Orton.  They say that I'm a loser for even LIKING John Cena.  I'm not a card carrying member of the Cenation, but yeah, I like great wrestling and John Cena has been a great wrestler for years now and I stand by that.  So yeah if you find yourself disagreeing, you can continue to email me, tweet me and do your worst.  Because the fact is this blog isn't for the Cena haters and WWE cynics.  It's for the people who chat with their jaded friends and say "Wow did you see that match last night?  It fucking ruled!"  To which their pal replies with a shit-eating grin, "Maybe because of Punk.  He carried Cena.  Money In The Bank was still better because Punk won.  And besides, the rest of the show sucked.  Why?  Because Triple H came back and he's here to bury Brock Lesnar". 


Believe me, I know the feeling...


Before you lose your shit, hold off on slapping them and refer them to this article.  And while they read this wanting to punch themselves in the dick, you'll be able to point, laugh and say...
 
IN. YOUR. FACE!!!!


Match Rating: ****3/4

4 comments:

  1. Best match of the year so far
    YES! Yes! Yes!
    Why not 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I added it as #1 in our Top 25 this year, but even though from an in-ring perspeective, I thought it was better than MITB, there was just a little something missing for me to give it the full five. I think if that were the mania main event or if they had just a little bit more time, I don't know, but I just didn't feel right giving it five. I wouldn't argue with anyone who did though.

      Delete
  2. Agree with you here John Cena and CM Punk had an all timer last night. Its matches like that that make me forget about whatever nitpicks i have with the WWE's current product and escape.

    ReplyDelete